Thursday, July 26, 2012

In my BUBBLE.....








In my bubble…..

For years I’ve struggled with my bubble. That space that is JUST mine. I don’t like for people to get close to it, step in it, or invade it. It’s an invisible boundary…that only I know where it begins and ends.


Early on I noticed this bubble. With time, it’s intensified. I get VERY uncomfortable when people get close to it. Standing in line at Wal-Mart, Someone talking too close to my face, sitting in between strangers at the DMV, Airplane, Dr’s office, and even church…yes I said Church! lol I know that may not be a very Christian lady like thing to say but I’m being honest. It’s my bubble.


I've had panic attacks and anxiety over this for years and through counseling I found that some is from childhood traumas and it’s my way of protecting me and some of this is just natural. It’s our way of setting a boundary. Boundaries….. something I have a hard time setting!


Do you ever struggle with setting boundaries? I do…for me….I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. Sweet? Not really…..See we need to let people KNOW that it’s not ok to guilt trip, to bully, to overpower, to hurt you. I am 42 years old and JUST now this year….set boundaries. I'm a grown up! I'm a big girl! :-)


Seem strange to wait this long? It has never come natural for me. I avoid confrontation like the plague! I don’t like it so at the risk of hurting someone else’s feelings…I allowed people to treat me wrong, whether it was abusive, controlling, guilt trips, disrespect, degrading, or any negative way that hurt me or hurts my kids. No more! I have boundaries!






The purpose of having boundaries is to protect and take care of ourselves.  We need to be able to tell other people when they are acting in ways that are not acceptable to us.  A first step is starting to know that we have a right to protect and defend ourselves.  That we have not only the right, but the duty, to take responsibility for how we allow others to treat us.


Say what?? I have the right, the duty, and the responsibility to take care of myself. YES! Woo Hoo! Don’t you think we should’ve known this from the beginning? Some of us have….and those like me that haven’t….have a chance to set that boundary now.


Whether you have a bubble or a boundary. Or if you are blessed like me to have both…:-) Embrace it and take care of it. It’s yours!


Don’t walk away from this blog feeling like it’s all serious and blah. It’s not! It’s exciting!! It’s refreshing! It’s awesome!


We need to love one another, nurture each other, protect each other, and encourage each other.


It all up to us what we allow and what we don’t.  If people around you get upset that you set your boundaries....then they are the ones that you probably needed to set it for the most. 


Galatians 6:5 For each will have to bear his own load. 

Proverbs 22:24 Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man

Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you says the Lord and guide you along the best pathway for your life; I will advise you and watch your progress.

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong! Be courageous! Do not be afraid of them! For the Lord your God will be with you! He will neither leave you nor forsake you.